[Mageia-dev] Java-Policy first draft published

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+mageia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 22:41:42 CET 2011

On mercredi 12 janvier 2011 at 17:45, Frank Griffin wrote :
> In theory, the packager of such an application could create
> supplementary packages for the specific versions of included JARs and
> build them first from source.  But for something like NetBeans or
> Eclipse, that's going to be a lot of work....

I don't know for netbeans (maybe it is the same as eclipse), but eclipse
needs anyway all of its dependencies inside his own plugins directory, so it
would anyway be hard to use other system installed jars.
But the source of the required version could probably be included in the
src.rpm of the requiring plugins and built/installed before them (but I
actually have no idea how eclipse plugins are built from source).

The problem is, many eclipse plugins (or plugins collections actually) have
dependencies on the same libs (for example xalan and xerces) which they all
provide in their zip archive. We cannot have them in each package that need
them as it would create file conflicts between those packages.
So we would need to create separate packages for those "external
dependencies plugins". They could be built from their own source (from the
official project) and then the real plugins would depend on them.
That would probably require a special naming convention for dependencies
between plugins (as the package doesn't provide "xalan" but "xalan as an
eclipse plugin")

Or maybe, if the jar in the external dependency plugin is actually the same
(or compatible) version as the on from the normal package maybe we could
make a plugin package only containing the eclipse related files
(plugin.properties) and creating a symlink to the system wide jar. But that
mean that eclipse plugins, which are now frequently provided as single jar
files, would need to be packaged as files and directories like in older
eclipse releases.

What do you think?

--
Renaud Michel