[Mageia-dev] Java-Policy first draft published

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Wed Jan 12 23:54:48 CET 2011

Renaud MICHEL wrote:

> Or maybe, if the jar in the external dependency plugin is actually the same
> (or compatible) version as the on from the normal package maybe we could
> make a plugin package only containing the eclipse related files
> (plugin.properties) and creating a symlink to the system wide jar. But that
> mean that eclipse plugins, which are now frequently provided as single jar
> files, would need to be packaged as files and directories like in older
> eclipse releases.
>
> What do you think?

I think we want to consider carefully before we try to replace complex
existing plugin installation procedures in various products.  This issue
is also being discussed relative to Firefox in another thread.

Users of things like NetBeans and Eclipse are used to the mechanisms
provided by those tools for managing plugin installation, and are not
going to take kindly to having to use rpmdrake instead.  And in some
cases, e.g. Maven, you don't have a choice - if Maven needs it and it
isn't there, it will get it from repositories whether or not you have
packaged a plugin as an RPM.

At some point, you just give up and accept the fact that you can't
reform the entire world.  As more and more projects migrate to Maven,
the problem (sort of) goes away.  All of our suggestions here are
basically trying to recreate what Maven does without requiring projects
to use it.