[Mageia-dev] What to do for software having MDV/Mandriva in name

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Mon Jan 17 03:17:15 CET 2011

* Hoyt Duff (hoytduff at gmail.com) wrote:
> On 1/16/11, Olivier Thauvin <nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org> wrote:
>

> > So I am favor to import it with this name (we didn't rename RPM because
> > it mean RedHat Package Manager...).
> >

> At the risk of being called pedantic, RPM _now_ stands for "RPM
> Package Manager" in all its GNU  recursive acronym goodness (GNU's Not
> Unix, WINE Is Not an Emulator, etc.) for precisely the reason you
> raise, so people would not use/drop it because of the RedHat name.

Thanks for the explanation...

But it was not the case when Mandrake started to use it, and neither
when Mandrake became Mandriva (The new name appeared with the rpm5
fork, and IIRC this fork appeared after Mandriva).

> Where MDK or drak is part of the application name (and hence the
> package name), it should not be changed because that is its name and
> Mandriva did, in fact, create it. When Mageia writes its own
> applications (mageiahelp, diskmagia, mageiasound) or forks the
> MDK/drak application (and starts separate, non-cooperative
> development), then change the name. Otherwise, it might be seen as if
> we are trying to hide something if only the name appears to change
> just to obscure the Mandriva origins..

The problem is not only the name, but also all technical a rename can
cause. The 'MDV' is part of perl module name, then it create
dependencies between them. Changing this will force us to immediatelly
patch some applications.

There is way to create compatibility (Rafael Garcia-Suarez and I did it
to rename MDK to MDV in past).
I am just afraid by all breakage this can cause.

--

Olivier Thauvin
CNRS  -  LATMOS