[Mageia-dev] Importing RPM Spec File Syntax

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 19 10:24:10 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Oliver Burger at 19/01/11 08:07 did gyre and gimble:
> Luca Berra <bluca at vodka.it> schrieb am 2011-01-19
>> "Name: foo"
>> appers to be working
>> in rpm 4.6 "Version: foo" is totally borked, dunno with rpm 5
>> this is why i will continue on using macros for version and
>> release. %define myver 1.0
>> %define myrel %mkrel 1
>>
>> Name: foo
>> Version: %myver
>> Release: %myrel
>
> Can't follow you there: what is or is not working with
> "Version: foo" or "Release: %mkrel foo"?

I think he's saying that if you do this:
 Name: foo
then you can subsequently use %name elsewhere in the spec and all will
be well.

But if you use:
 Version: 1.0
then you cannot use %version elsewhere in the spec.

So defining it manually is the best way to do it so it can be used
elsewhere.

However, I could not replicate that here on my pre-RPM5 cooker box.
Using the version with the tag and using %version worked just fine. So I
think I have misinterpreted too :s

Col

--

Colin Guthrie