[Mageia-dev] Python Packaging Policy

philippe makowski makowski.mageia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:22:00 CET 2011

2011/1/19 Michael scherer <misc at zarb.org>:
> Because that would 1) requires a patch to rpm that we do not have or
> 2) patch all python packages to had %ghost on all *.pyc,  and do a compilation of
> *pyc ( the 2nd part is easy, the first one is slightly harder to automate )
> 3) do not care about file tracking, but that's unclean.
>
> Do not get me wrong, I think that's the way forward, but that's not applicable
> in a few days.
of course

Can we forget for a little Mandriva and talk about Mageia ?
I mean, we are before the alpha stage, so it's time to think about
what the future can be
did you read the OpenSuse policy ?
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_Python

of course the best solution would be be to put into the rpm only *.py,
bitcompilling them at install and trac *.pyc and *.pyo as %ghost

but it seems that neither Fedora, neither OpenSuse have problem to
package bitcompiled files
(the %fdupes OpenSuse solution seems not bad)

or can we patch distutils/command/install.py even more than OpenSuse
(https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=python-distutils-rpm-8.patch&package=python&project=home%3Acoolo%3Abranches%3AopenSUSE%3AFactory&srcmd5=25a3587ace933a14ae62edfc4cd927b7)
did, to generate a rpm-compatible format that would manage  %ghost ?