[Mageia-dev] background and theme path

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Wed Jan 19 14:02:08 CET 2011

Remy CLOUARD <shikamaru at mandriva.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 01:06:49PM +0100, Olivier Blin wrote:
>> I'd like to move away from the hardcoded backgrounds location for
>> themes, and put them in a distro-neutral path
>> (was /usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/ in Mandriva)
>>
>> Most Gnome backgrounds appear to be located in
>> /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/ (some are in /usr/share/backgrounds/)
>>
>> Is everyone ok to have our backgrounds in
>> /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/<theme name>/ and the distro default as
>> /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/default.jpg ?
>>
> Well, I’d say it would be better if it were also desktop-neutral.
>
> AFAIK, there is one freedesktop specification for icons [1], but not for
> wallpapers, it would be nice to raise this subject on fd.o ml.

We can raise the subject there, but we should have a fast short-term
decision for Mageia as well, this is blocking for packages import.

So that would be either /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds, /usr/share/wallpapers,
or /usr/share/backgrounds

Any idea about how other distros are handling this?

> I don’t know which package owns /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/, but
> apparently it’s not desktop-common-data. I would rather not having to
> install gnome packages/kde packages for that.

No packages owns it yet.
$ LC_ALL=C rpm -qf /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/
file /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds is not owned by any package

--
Olivier Blin - blino