[Mageia-dev] [RFC] Ruby packaging policy

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Wed Jan 19 20:58:25 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 01:49:30AM +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le vendredi 07 janvier 2011 à 23:45 +0100, Remy CLOUARD a écrit :
> > You can find the page here:
> > http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Policies/Ruby
[...]
> This cause problem since we do have rpm present twice ( without people
> noticing, as I dicovered when trying to use gitorious ). More ever, this
> is confusing for packagers. There is also potential breakage if someone
> start to do tarball, then gems, etc etc.
>
> I have already expressed my opinion on the subject, and still maintain
> it :
>
> ruby rpm should be ruby-*.

Ok, so I assume ruby rpm should be packaged as a gem or as a regular
package, but not both (sounds sensible anyway)

[...]

Now, I’ve made an erb template to match what we discussed up till now.

You can see the result here
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Ruby_packaging_policy#Samples

A few comments about this spec:
- devel package is generated to pull the development dependencies, maybe
  it could be created also whenever there are additional files that are
  not in the require_paths node of the YAML specification.

There are several things that need to be fixed:
- in gem2rpm, version requirements should translate the ~> operator
  (it means >= X.Y and < Z)
- in rubygems.rb, files that are not in require_paths are deleted. So we
  have to support test_files so that they can be included in the devel
  packages

Regarding the specification, I would like to generalize tests, but that
will not be an easy task, because of circular dependencies, don’t know
how to circumvent the issue, because even if I first do the import
without the check for the bootstrap, It’s likely that the problem will
arise when upgrading the package, requiring to disable the test first
and then activate it again…

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD