[Mageia-dev] Java-Policy first draft published

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Fri Jan 21 14:22:26 CET 2011

nicolas vigier wrote:

> Nothing should be downloaded from remote maven repositories during RPM
> builds. All dependencies should be installed from rpm packages only.

So you propose that we package every version of every maven plugin and
dependency as RPMs and basically reinvent the entire Maven artifact
architecture ?

It's not a question of "use the most current or fix it".  POMs allow the
author to specify the version of the artifact, and it doesn't matter
whether it would work with a later version or not, because Maven will be
no more tolerant of a version mismatch than RPM would be.  It simply
won't build unless you rewrite the POM, in which case you can kiss
upstream support goodbye.