[Mageia-dev] New mockups about mageia-app-db

Fabrice Facorat fabrice.facorat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 00:17:13 CET 2011

2011/2/6 Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it>:

> http://img696.imageshack.us/i/mageiafindoutbrowsingpa.jpg/

>> > Samuel said that the application must be useful both for newbies and power
>> > users
>>
>> ok for power users, but for normal users the Ui is too cluttered
>
> [remember that this is only a first mockup made by me (the developer is
> Samuel), my goal is to provide to him all the most interesting infos and ideas
> to develop the app as best as possible.]
>
>> 1. left pane : Release Alpha vs Cauldron ? for a normal user, this
>> means pretty nothing. If the user is looking for an
>> application/package, then don't talk about release or repositories.
>
> well, if you have mandriva installed, do you think you don't know what release
> is? alpha release vs. cauldron could be "Mageia 2011" and "Mageia 2012"

whereas eventually I may know about release ( Mageia 2011 ), I may not
know about updates/backports/testing/....
What's the point fo browsing by release ? It's an application
database, so you should browse by applications.

>> What about using instead rpm categories, and then display theses kind
>> of information in the package infos
>
> do you mean showing only "amarok" field and when you get into it you'll
> download different versions depending on the release installed? it can be an
> interesting idea.

first I see the main categories : Office, Sound & Video, Tools, ...
Then the sub-category and then the application :
Sound & Video -> Sound -> Amarok
The left pane should only show categories, the application list will
be displayed in the center pane.

See tthe way you navigate in this :
http://download.cnet.com/windows/mp3-and-audio-software/?tag=rb_content;contentNav

>> 2. right pane : Alpha vs Beta ?
>
> also here, i mean something like this: "Mageia 2011" and "Mageia 2012"

this won't scale when you will have more and more release, except if
you plan to show only 2 releases, and so to support a mandriva release
only during 2 releases cycles.

--
Close the World, Open the Net
http://www.linux-wizard.net