[Mageia-dev] New mockups about mageia-app-db

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Mon Feb 7 23:22:17 CET 2011

Le dimanche 6 février 2011 23:23:43, Fabrice Facorat a écrit :

> >> sorry but who is supposed to use mageia-app-db ? power users ? dev ?
> >> casual/normal users ?
> >
> > Samuel said that the application must be useful both for newbies and
> > power users
>
> ok for power users, but for normal users the Ui is too cluttered
>
> 1. left pane : Release Alpha vs Cauldron ? for a normal user, this
> means pretty nothing. If the user is looking for an
> application/package, then don't talk about release or repositories.
> What about using instead rpm categories, and then display theses kind
> of information in the package infos

At the moment, I don't plan to put the different distribution releases in the
left menu. In mageia-app-db, you browse one release at a time, which is
already the case in version 0.1 : http://88.191.121.20/madb/master/
(in fact, you can browse packages from several releases at a time, but that's
not the standard use case).
Here is how we will determine what release to show by default to you :
- if you are logged in and defined a preferred release (version 1, "latest
stable" version, cauldron...), then it's used
- else, we will try to detect what release your system has, from your user
agent
- and in last resort (not logged in, cleaned user agent or browsing from
another system), the default is the latest stable release (this is the current
behaviour).

And you can switch from one version to the other by the filter in the banner
(it will likely look like simple dropdown, or something else simple to use).

Samuel