[Mageia-dev] New mockups about mageia-app-db

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 23:11:42 CET 2011

On 2/8/11, Marcello Anni <marcello.anni at alice.it> wrote:

> did you like the slogan under the name in my mockup? : P when you'll decide
> call it Find Out?? i'm still waiting, mageia-app-db is horrible (and i'm
> sure
> you don't have any other ideas)...

I don't care for "Find Out". It does not cleary communicate the
purpose of the site. "Mageia FInd Out" reads to me like brokewn
English saying "Mageia is looking for out" and makes me wonder what
"out" is and why is Mageia looking for it. It does not clearly speak
to software/applications. I assume you are using "find out" in the
sense of "discover" or "explore", but it's not a phrase that is clear
to me.

Some suggetsion for your consideration (yes, they are very dull, but
descriptive):

Mageia Application Database/Discovery/Foundry
Mageia Application Warehouse/Mall/Store/Shop
Mageia - Explore Applications
Mageia - World of Applications

Here's my take on an edit of the  intro:

Welcome to Mageia Application Discovery! Here, you can search for
application software to use on your Mageia system, then download and
install it with just a click. Browse by name, category or specific
filename*. To help you decide. examine the screenshots and user
reviews and recommendations. Explore applications in the testing
repository to participate in the devopment process. Provide your
feedback to help others. Suggest new applications for inclusion in
Mageia. Explore and enjoy yourself!

I woud not use words like "infos" or "app" or "soft" and would avoid
abbreviations, shorthand and jargon.

Overall, I like the concept and the interface. Great work!

* I suggest this feature as a way to help the user figure out "What
provides <filename>?" That is often not an easy task as package naming
conventions are often obtuse and confusing.

--
Hoyt