[Mageia-dev] [Mageia-sysadm] [496] update version in Makefile

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:48:06 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 23:57, Dexter Morgan <dmorganec at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:55 PM, Thomas Backlund <tmb at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Well, the downside of using a year as a release number, is that after a
>> year, people will think that the release is old... even if its still
>> supported...
>
> Thomas your point is more than valid for me.

Same for me.

Using a year/time-attached version number forces the obsolescence of a
product and pushes forward the _requirement_ to release a new version
each time to keep on par.

Using a single numeric increment makes it clear that:
 - it starts back from a fresh state (here, 1)
 - a version does not get obsolete because it is versioned after the
past year, but because there's just a new version with an obviously
higher version number (and small numbers are easier to grasp and
compare).

Romain