[Mageia-dev] Caution about using src.rpm from mdv since today

Dexter Morgan dmorganec at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 14:42:35 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le vendredi 11 février 2011 à 13:09 +0100, Dexter Morgan a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> now that rpm packages are migrated to use rpm5 file triggers please
>> double check before backporting mdv commits into mageia.
>
> Can you be more explicit ?
> ( because you explained on irc, but the problem seemed to be rather
> limited, so I may have misunderstood )
> --
> Michael Scherer

on rpms like gnome-icon-theme we have :

# automatic gtk icon cache update on rpm installs/removals
# (see http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Rpm_filetriggers)
install -d %buildroot%{_var}/lib/rpm/filetriggers
cat > %buildroot%{_var}/lib/rpm/filetriggers/gtk-icon-cache-gnome.filter << EOF
^./usr/share/icons/gnome/
EOF
cat > %buildroot%{_var}/lib/rpm/filetriggers/gtk-icon-cache-gnome.script << EOF
#!/bin/sh
if [ -x /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache ]; then
  /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache --force --quiet /usr/share/icons/gnome
fi
EOF
chmod 755 %buildroot%{_var}/lib/rpm/filetriggers/gtk-icon-cache-gnome.script

If you don't know what a file trigger is :

Filetriggers allow to run some scripts when some file has been added or removed.

The typical use cases are:

    updating /etc/ld.so.cache when some libraries have been
added/removed in /usr/lib or /lib
    running update-menus to update menus of non-XDG compliant desktops
when some *.desktop have been added/removed in /usr/share/applications

Now this is handled differently in rpm5 so those filetriggers have been removed.

so if you plan to sync those rpms from mandriva to mageia :
uClibc
apache-conf
rarian
GConf2
php-pear
desktop-common-data
glibc
nspluginwrapper
desktop-file-utils
oxygen-icon-theme
vdr
grub2
ibus-table
nagios

PLEASE  TAKE CARE TO NOT REMOVE THE FILETRIGGERS AND NOT BACKPORT RPM5
NEW FILETRIGGER METHOD.

In a neat future ( rpm 4.9.0 ) we will remove "some" filetriggers from
our rpms because it will be handled. But this will have to be looked
in detail.

i hope that this time i explained better :)