[Mageia-dev] Virtual machine image distribution

David Sjölin david.sjolin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 13:45:40 CET 2011

Hello!

Here are some suggestions:

VirtualBox (.vdi), storage set to "Dynamically expanding storage"
(meaning that the vdi-file only takes up as much space as is used),
maxsize of 10-30 gb? 32 bit should be easiest to use? Or is 64 bit
more common these days (maybe one of each)?

In VirtualBox you can configure the memory size later, but maybe 512
mb memory as default?

Package suggestion: X, dev-tools (gcc, linux-headers etc.), office,
Firefox/Seamonkey, perhaps Emacs? VBox-Guest-Additions would be nice
since graphics can sometimes be complicated in VirtualBox. But as you
say that part may be difficult to anticipate what people may want.
Since it seems that php and perl is commonly used, maybe that should
be included?

I would be interested in this, especially for the first versions. But
as you say, one could install it oneself on a VirtualBox, but with
some distributions I've used graphics can be complicated to get right
in VirtualBox.

Regards,

Zarniwoop/David Sjölin