[Mageia-dev] About panotools patent problem (and other problematic rpms)

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Feb 18 14:42:02 CET 2011

Le vendredi 18 février 2011 à 12:47 +0000, James Kerr a écrit :

> If there are two packages, one in core and another in tainted, then
> doesn't urpmi need a way to recognise that the tainted package is newer
> than (an update to) the corresponding core package? I believe that this
> is achieved in Mandriva, because plf is greater than mdv.

That's abusing release tag and it work by pure chance ( ie, had the plf
decided to  be called the guillomovitch liberation front, it would not
have worked ). And this is quite inflexible, since people will always
have plf packages, leading to users adding some rpm in skip.list with a
regexp.

This doesn't make much sense to treat tainted rpm as update to core,
this is not the same notion. But we cannot express this in urpmi for the
moment, as this would requires some way to say "if you need to install
something, prefer this source rather than this one".

We can imagine a priority system, or we can simply say that if there is
the same rpm on 2 media, we ask to the user ( except this would requires
IMHO a better system than the current path based one to see what is in a
rpm, but that's a rather long proposal to make ).

But you are right this another set of issues to solve for dual life
packages.

--
Michael Scherer