[Mageia-dev] About panotools patent problem (and other problematic rpms)

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 23:21:21 CET 2011

Op dinsdag 22 februari 2011 19:09:17 schreef andre999:
[...]
> <aside>
> First of all, "tainted" in English implies that the software doesn't
> work.  (Unless it refers to food, in which case it means "poisonous".)
> So we should choose a more appropriate name, such as "constrained", or
> use the Ubuntu approach and use a name which doesn't literally describe
> the contents. ("Multiverse", in their case.)
> Anything but something that implies that there is something inherently
> wrong with the package in question.
> That was one advantage of "plf", but of course that is already taken.
> And it is certainly advantageous to include such packages directly on
> Mageia mirrors.
> </aside>
[...]

This reply is not meant for andre, but for people responding to his email:

I clearly didn't respond to this, because this is aside, and in general the
preference of one user, we already had a big discussion about this, so please
let's not restart this one.

and besides the aside, naming is unimportant in my view.