[Mageia-dev] automagically submitting correctly

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 00:15:20 CET 2011

Op woensdag 23 februari 2011 00:07:59 schreef Thomas Backlund:
> On 23.2.2011 00:54, Maarten Vanraes wrote:
> > I've been thinking on submission (since i'm a novice packager, i have no
> > good experience with this, so i ended up talking to my mentor on
> > submission stuff).
> >
> > So i was thinking:
> > .spec files are used to tell the buildbot how to build and package an
> > srpm.
> >
> > why don't we have a similar way to do submission? (or even include this
> > in spec file?)
> >
> > the things is, i want something that should work in most, if not all
> > cases, but still be simple.
> >
> > what would be interesting:
> >   * submission parameters: ie: where to put rpm (core, tainted, non-free)
>
> Not really needed, as it's only the first time you submit a package you
> need to specify repo, after that the bs knows where to put it...

ah, that is interesting to know

> > or nice to have:
> >   * make this also work multiple times, for packages that are submitted
> >
> > multiple times (think about tainted stuff, that is rebuilt with extra
> > %define), and still have only one srpm.
>
> this could be set by default in a separate rebuild bot for tainted repos

yes, but i was proposing to change the buildbot to allow such a package to be
built 4 times instead of 2, and not having srpm conflicts and so that a single
submission builds both at the same time.

> >   * bootstrapping options? some way to have %defines that disable some
> >   stuff for
> >
> > bootstrapping (or even cyclic builddependencies in certain pacakages)
> >
> > in short, the idea is to have:
> > 1. X, that is simple, elegant and works for all cases
> > 2. stuff happens
> > 3. profit :-P
> >
> > or to make it easier on packagers (and possibly reduce errors in wrong
> > submission), so that just "mgarepo submit<package>" would automagically
> > work correctly.
>
> That only work if the packager sets the tags correctly...

that is true, but if it's put into like the .spec file, it's kind of "there".
and in revision control.

this looked usefull to me, but i can be wrong...