[Mageia-dev] time to switch from raw partitions to lvm?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Feb 24 06:23:49 CET 2011

Anne nicolas a écrit :

> 2011/2/21 Michael Scherer<misc at zarb.org>:
>> Le lundi 21 février 2011 à 10:56 +0100, Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :
>>> Another part of the discussion may be the fact that a large number of
>>> users are running dual (or multiple) boot systems, keeping the
>>> pre-installed Windows and adding Linux. Others will have Windows and
>>> Mandriva, adding Mageia.
>>>
>>> While LVM may be nice if you are running one OS on one harddisk, it
>>> may be not so easy when running 3 OS on one harddisk. Or different
>>> installations of the same Linux (like stable version and cauldron).
>>
>> I do run lvm on Fedora and mac os x without any trouble. Windows will
>> not support any linux file system more than lvm, and the same goes for
>> os x.
>>
>> For a linux system, a lvm logical volume is just another disk.
>
> Apart from all possible issues, diskdrake needs first to be improved.
> Looking on partitions when you run LVM still needs to have knowledge
> about how it works. And I really don't think people can easily
> understand PV, VG, LV and FS

One thing that needs to be fixed in diskdrake : Although it recognizes
and works with standard gpt partition tables -- an alternative to the
usual mbr partition tables -- it doesn't work properly with hybrid gpt
tables.  (A version of gpt that allows dual-booting with ms-w.)
Gpt is inherently more stable than mbr, and the standard version allows
128 primary partitions -- in less space than normally wasted in a disk
with an mbr table.

--
André