[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Rémi Verschelde rverschelde at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 19:11:37 CET 2011

2011/2/24 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>:

> Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 17:48
>
>> So in the mean time, we have to rely on guess made from packagers on
>> what would be the best application to use _if_ people did install more
>> applications and didn't remove the installed default one, nor
>> cleaned/move the entry ( because for some reason, it seems that no one
>> ever do it ).
>
> But this is flawed logic, IF a user manually installs a new app that means
> he is interested in using it, so it shouldn't be hidden away behind
> "More". There is no guessing involved for apps that aren't installed by
> default, those apps that a users needs to install manually should NEVER
> disappear behind "More"!
>
> --
> Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/

I don't know if we should remove "More" or not, but I agree with that
point. Even more, I tend to think that most of the applications I
installed manually go to "More", and that is really illogic.

When I install Pidgin because I want to use it instead of Kopete, why
the logic in having "Internet > Kopete" and "Internet > More >
Pidgin".

At least, if we could track which apps were used ONCE, and put the
others in "More" first, that would be great.

Cheers,
Rémi