[Mageia-dev] freedesktop spec and categories

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Feb 28 18:21:58 CET 2011

Le samedi 26 février 2011 à 01:00 +0100, Samuel Verschelde a écrit :
> Le vendredi 25 février 2011 10:33:42, Michael Scherer a écrit :

> > > Does it happen ? In a default Mandriva KDE installation I already have
> > > more than 10 internet applications.
> >
> > I do not use kde, but that doesn't sound good.
> > What are the entries ? Are all of them really needed ?
>
> - akregator
> - kaddressbook
> - kmail
> - network center (mandriva)
> - kbluetooth
> - kget (download manager)
> - knetattach (= add a network
> - knode : newsgroups reader (unless I installed it manually, not sure)
> - konqueror
> - kontact
> - konversation
> - kopete
> - korganizer
> - kppp
> - krdc
> - krfb
> - ktorrent (unless I installed it manually)
> - firefox
>
> And I agree that many of those will not be used by most people

There is some duplicate :
firefox / konqueror
kontact / korganiser / kmail / kadressboo, that somehow all overlap ( IIRC from my kde days )
- kppp / network center / knetattach -> manage network

> > > I prefer 3 quick steps rather than 2 long steps.
> >
> > This would requires some testing and measures to see which is faster,
> > which is more confusing. Fcrozat did some tests, but I think the report
> > were not published :/
> >
> > > And KDE gives you the
> > > "recently used applications" on top of the menu, so the extra step is no
> > > big deal.
> >
> > Shall I remind that there is more than KDE in the world ?
>
> No, because it suggests I forgot it, which is not the case :)
> But you mean there is no such functionality in GNOME and other commonly used
> environments ?

I never seen this on windows, ( which is still the most common used
evnironment, even if my own usage date back to xp ), neither on mac os x
( on 10.5 ).

If there is in gnome 2, then I have disabled it long ago. And I doubt
there is on lighter desktop environment ( ie, that's why there are
light, because there is a different tradeoff between feature and memory
footprint ). I need to check with someone running lxde and xfce.

There is something like this on gnome 3.

--
Michael Scherer