[Mageia-dev] Bugs mailing list, new bugs Subject line

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Wed Mar 2 18:37:58 CET 2011

On Wed, 02 Mar 2011, Ahmad Samir wrote:

> On 2 March 2011 12:01, Thierry Vignaud <thierry.vignaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2 March 2011 07:28, Yann Ciret <mageia at zamiz.net> wrote:
> >> I prefer the actual system with always same subject. It's easier to
> >> follow the subject in mail client software. If the subject will change
> >> with bug life, I am not sure Thunderbird can group all messages as a
> >> conversation.
> >
> > Indeed. it's annoying for filtering
> >

> Actually, no, thunderbird doesn't break the thread of a bug due to
> this issue, as it doesn't use just the subject to group emails.

Mail clients usually use "In-Reply-To:" or "References:" headers to
thread mails. But it seems gmail is also using subjects for this.

However according to this, text inside square brackets is ignored :
http://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-to-change-or-add-words-to-the-subject-of-a-Gmail-email-and-keep-it-in-the-same-thread

So if we add '[New]' instead of 'New:' in the subject, maybe this would fix
the problem with gmail ?