[Mageia-dev] Contributors using real name/working email? or not? or maybe?

nicolas vigier boklm at mars-attacks.org
Thu Mar 3 18:57:21 CET 2011

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011, Romain d'Alverny wrote:

> The points to decide here are:
>  a) should a contributor provide a public email address, to be used in
> changelogs, commits and everywhere her contribution to the project
> needs an id or contact id? (for instance changelog, commit, document
> authoring)
>  b) should a contributor provide a real name for the same goals? or is
> a fake name/alias ok, as long as there are people that do know/meet
> the person?

I think we should require an email address, and a full name (which is
recommended to be the real name, but not necessary).

And I also think we should display the full name and the email address
in the rpm changelog :
 - it's easier to recognize people with their name
 - it's better to give credit with their name and email
 - it's easier if you need to contact the author of a package when you
   have their email
 - people who don't want to be contacted should not be packagers
 - people who don't want their real name to be public can use an other
   name

And I don't think we should add an option to select whether to display
the full name or not, because it requires a lot of work, a lot of
software don't support it, and we probably have more useful work to do
when there is already a simple solution available (using an other name
instead of your real name).