[Mageia-dev] Rpmlint configuration, false positives

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Sat Mar 5 10:49:28 CET 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 10:30:36PM +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so as done before on another time and land, I have pushed a rpmlint
> specific
> policy for Mageia, aptly named 'rpmlint-mageia-policy" ( maybe
> rpmlint-policy-mageia would be better, not sure ).
>
> For those that do not know, rpmlint is a tool to check a rpm against
> a list
> of rules written in python, that is used on Fedora, Mandriva, opensuse
> and likely others too. The tool is used on upload to refuse some
> rpms based
> on this rules, and should be used by people to check rpms, to make
> sure that
> no obvious errors is still there. However, this is not a perfect tool,
> and it can still give false positives, so people should not use without
> understanding errors.
>
> But we can filter and configure it to be a little more perfect.
>
> In a rather autocratic fashion, as the maintainer of rpmlint ( both
> packages
> and uptream ), as a packager representative, and as a apprentice
> dictator
> ( since there is lots of open position in this sector since a few
> weeks ),
> I propose that this become the canonical source for rpmlint
> configuration.
>
> In practice, that mean that false positives will have to be added
> there,
> that stuff that are noted as errors need to be set in that package, and
> any policy changes must be made there.
>
> So the question is "how do we deal with evolution ( ie, how do we
> decide
> something is now a error, or no longer one".
>
> Traditionally, packagers didn't care at all, and so the
> configuration bitrotted
> since a long time, and people didn't used it, and I just added false
> positives
> when packagers notified it ( ie, almost never, except when I noticed
> some of them ).
> I suspect that my lack of communication around that didn't help (
> and so
> people didn't knew they could ask for adding a false positive to the
> list
> of error to ignore ).
>
> Yet, I think we can do better, so feel free to suggest any mad idea
> for this.
> --
> Michael Scherer
Regarding license names, I haven’t checked the code, will provide a
patch for this, it would be nice if rpmlint could load valid license
names from a yaml config file which will contain valid licenses as
mentionned here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing#Good_Licenses_3

And then I will make a script to detect wrong licenses in already
imported packages so that we can make a fix license sprint to fix them

Are you ok with that ?
--
Rémy CLOUARD