[Mageia-dev] Importing Licensing Policy

Remy CLOUARD shikamaru at mandriva.org
Sat Mar 5 19:34:42 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:23:25AM +0200, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> On 28.02.2011 03:51, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> > On 09.01.2011 01:15, Remy CLOUARD wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I just started to import the Licensing policy from the Mandriva wiki.
> >>
> >> Here are notable changes:
> >>
> > [...]
> >> - adding a complete list of license names (produced by rpmlint)
> >
> > This list directly contradicts the Fedora naming convention which we
> > use, i.e. most of the names in the list are different from the ones we
> > actually use.
>
> Removed.
>
> --
> Anssi Hannula

Ok, I’ve done a little analysis of our packages with a little dirty
script to grab licenses from SVN:
http://pastebin.com/q2s4G0Gy

It turns out that the majority of our packages have wrong License Names.

I used the following yaml file to generate this list:
http://pastebin.com/hNYGdDLf

The most common case is GPL being stated without the versions or a +.
A common error is also to have LGPLv2.1, while it should be LGPLv2 or
LGPLv2+
here is the list of affected packages:
http://pastebin.com/YYDyHe8X

Also, if a license looks like another one it should be appended the
-like suffix. But sometimes you don’t have the hyphen or you can have
“style” instead:
http://pastebin.com/kyvLp9jG

Also, the convention is to use the short name for the license, here are
some of the affected packages:
http://pastebin.com/JfAzMQPG

Some just have the wrong name:
http://pastebin.com/DkRfwD8u

-> example: Artistic/GPL should be: GPL+ or Artistic

There is a remaining list of more uncommon patterns, these could be
either a wrong name, or a short name not being used, I was too lazy to
sort them: http://pastebin.com/uTQtryWW

In total, 2026 packages are affected out of the 6k we have in svn

It could be nice if you fix them when you encounter them.

For the most common ones, maybe we can script the fix (like for PHP
License -> PHP or the perl packages.

Now I need to provide a patch for rpmlint to take this list into
account.

Regards,
--
Rémy CLOUARD