[Mageia-dev] Firefox prefs: insertRelatedAfterCurrent

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Mar 6 21:11:38 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Ahmad Samir at 06/03/11 02:50 did gyre and gimble:
> On 6 March 2011 04:24, Hoyt Duff <hoytduff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've always set mine to false.
>>
>> When they open adjacent to the current tab (true) that always seems
>> like reverse order when reading a book. For example, click on the
>> links in a page that are page1, page2, page3 and so on in order. With
>> 'true', the tabs show the pages in reverse order.
>>
>> --
>> Hoyt
>>

> When you have more tabs than the width of the screen, i.e. some tabs
> are hidden and you have to click the right/left arrow on the tab bar
> to see all the tabs, that's where this option is very effective.
>
> And on the internet you're not reading a book; for example I have 20+
> tabs of bug report open, when I middle click a link from any report (a
> link to another bug, an upstream bug, a mailing list discussion), it
> opens next to it, not at the end of the stack.
>
> The point here is not just the personal preference of each user, we're
> not hardcoding the pref, the user can flip it any time he wants to do
> so; but the fact that this is an upstream feature that was turned off
> because the guy who submitted firefox in mdv at the time this pref was
> shipped by upstream "didn't like it"; the point is others may like it
> / find it useful.
>
> IMHO, that upstream default should be shipped as it.

I find myself in the same scenario quite regularly too (20+ tabs) and
find having the new tab at least quite close to the current one a
massive usability improvement.

It's also interesting to see the "reverse order argument" mentioned
previously doesn't always apply. There are some heuristics in there as
to whether it should be opened immediately to the right of the current
tab or after the other tabs that have been opened recently.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie