[Mageia-dev] RPM5 AND MAGEIA

Raphaël Jadot ashledombos at hodo.fr
Wed Mar 9 00:37:11 CET 2011

Le 8 mars 2011 23:59, Raphaël Jadot <ashledombos at hodo.fr> a écrit :
> 2011/3/8 Balcaen John <balcaen.john at gmail.com>:
>> Le Tuesday 08 March 2011 18:11:11, Per Øyvind Karlsen a écrit :
>> [...]
>>> Tsktsk, my post probably ends up being labelled as flamebait, troll, too
>>> long and boring, biased and what not..
>> [...]
>> This list is not write only...
>> If you've got personnal problem with dmorgan just send him a personal email i
>> don't care, but i guess that ennael wrote 3 hours before this last mail from
>> you that mageia seems to have choose rpm.org so maybe we can really close this
>> subject/thread for now instead of talking again & again about the fantastic
>> rpm(5).org feature/upstream/it's a revolution/another apple commercial
>> here/etc etc.
>> It's just boring...
>>

> mm ?
> I have not the feeling that it was the subject... i read again... ok
> he seems to have a great +1 to rpm5, but i did not see that he wanted
> insisted or moan in order we use rpm5...
> The mails are hard to read, and long, and very technicals,  but what
> catched my eyes is some things like
> "level of compatibility" between Mageia & rpm5 is far greater than any
> other (with
> other rpm5 based distros being more compatible with Mageia than Mageia
> is with non-rpm5 based distros as well"
> So it doesn't mean we have to move to rpm5 for being compatible with
> rpm5, so where is the problem ?
>
> I just wonder, why having discussions about technical things like
> adults is impossible ? are rpm.org and rpm5 religions ?
>
> So if Per Oyvind offers help, unless there are hidden things i do not
> understand, and if he can improve rpm.org or compatibility stuff or
> whatever, why nobody says "ok, why not, tell us, maybe you could help,
> maybe not" Did not find it (at least in this ML)
>
> Seems it's not the first time, in this mail
> https://www.mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/20110109/002024.html
> he told  "(if interested, I could help assist you on writing something
> equivalent for compatibility wrapping similar to what I did in the
> past with rpm4compat.h & rpm46compat.h to make ie. URPM able to use
> rpm 4.4 & 4.6 api with rpm5, let's say rpm5compat.h or something).
>
> Whatever you end up doing, don't be afraid of asking or trying to
> communicate on, the mutual benefits of collaboration are rather
> obvious. <;o)
> If not, sorry for imposing."
>
> This mail had no answer, so what, is this guy a kind of antichrist of
> rpm , talking with sugar words and trying to backstab you ?
>
> And at least, If the question are asked over and over, why is there so
> few things in archives about it ? Sure every one knows mageia will not
> hurry to go to rpm5 tomorow, and so what ? If some are bored about
> some related questions, why not opening a FAQ that explain it, or that
> just point to the related archive/topic (which could be this one) ?

> [...]

Ok, i can't redo what i have done, so i did not meant that we, mageia
people, are bad people that don't listen what Po Karlsen has to say.
Just tell... well i want mageia to live long and be a great project, i
also like mandriva. I don't want to see people bashing, i want to see
adults people, no rants, no anger, no religion war etc.
and that's all.

RJ