[Mageia-dev] Yet another list of missing packages

xi ctrl.alt.sup at free.fr
Thu Mar 10 17:41:49 CET 2011

Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le jeudi 10 mars 2011 à 16:44 +0100, xi a écrit :
>> Michael Scherer wrote:

>>> I think we should do some cleaning.
>>> - zcip is dead upstream ( but I imported before seeing this )
>>> - rpm-rebuilder is IMHO not used much
>>> - zaptel-* are deprecated, that's now called dadhi
>>> - rio500, does people still have this hardware ?
>>> - sndconfig, same question ( afaik, it serve to configure isa sound
>>> cards )
>>>
>>> There is also a lot of hardware related software, can people check if
>>> this is still used ?
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry to disturb your discussion. Just a few word about me : I am
>> following this list since the beginning and I am a "from the outset"
>> mandrake / mandriva user.
>
> You don't disturb, no problem.
>
>> The reason for my e-mail: I am still using sndconfig on PIII machines in
>> ordre to configure the sound, so please don't remove it.
>>
>> The more global goal of my messages is : please don't remove packages
>> that you think "useless" too fast. The availability of these "small
>> details" (as sndconfig) are the thinks that makes me feeling happy or
>> angry about a distribution ;-)
>
> So I assume that you ( or tux99 ) are ready to test it, or better to
> maintain it ?
>
> Because I do not have the hardware to test, do not plan to try to find
> it, and my time is quite limited. So I will not work on it if I cannot
> check that it work, and if no one does the job, it doesn't happen by
> itself.

Same as Tux99 here: I have two old PIII PC with ISA sound cards, both
running a mandriva 2008 for multimedia purposes.

Ok to test, but I can't promise I will do that as fast as you would need...
Basically, I will test alpha2 ISO and report whether this package works
or not. Is it ok for the Mageia "schedule"?

Xavier