[Mageia-dev] help wanted for building a buildnode-in-a-VM

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 09:33:10 CET 2011

Op vrijdag 11 maart 2011 00:27:48 schreef Michael Scherer:
> Le jeudi 10 mars 2011 à 21:52 +0100, Maarten Vanraes a écrit :
> > >
> > > Could someone from the sysadmins write (if it has not been done
> > > already) a quick guide for puppet use, for example "how to deploy a
> > > buildnode using puppet" ? I guess that would help Maarteen a lot :)
> > >
> > > Samuel
> >
> > It would help Maarten a lot :-)
>
> - install puppet
> - take the svn of admin
>    svn co svn://svn.mageia.org/adm/ /etc/puppet/
>
> and then something like :
> puppetd --test --tags buildnode
>
> ( not sure about this )
>
> However, I do not recommend this, as I think what maarten want is to
> have iurt, not the whole scheduling system and upload system of the
> build system.

it would be a nice feature to have some kind of buildnode-alike for padawans
to be able to try submission, but i think the benefits are very slim, not
enough to warrant time spent on making that work, imho.

> > one extra question, if i use puppet to install it, it will be exactly
> > like the current buildnode now?
>
> Well our buildnode run on mandriva, your vm will likely be a mageia. So
> that's already a difference.
>
> > but is puppet then installed on it? because i don't want to give people
> > the impression that if they install this vm, that the mageia sysadmins
> > would have full control over their vm...
>
> Well, if puppet is started and start to put our ssh keys as root, yes,
> we will have access to the vm, provided that 1) we have network access
> 2) time to lose on this ( neither are credible possibility ).

True, but from security purposes, that's not a good idea. better would be at
that moment to just remove puppet from VM, IMHO.

yeah, so i'm gonna see how far it get with iurt...