[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Mon Mar 14 00:35:12 CET 2011

On 14.03.2011 01:01, Tux99 wrote:

> Personally I also think 'tainted' would be the better choice than
> 'non-free' since potential patent issues are a more serious concern than a
> non-FOSS license, but tbh I think both choices are far from ideal, I
> believe the only really clean solution would be to create a
> 'tainted+non-free' repo just like PLF has.

One option would be to add it to "tainted", but have it require a dummy
metapackage from "non-free" repository, so that it can be only installed
if non-free media is enabled. It might cause too much confusion, though,
as the error message wouldn't be very clear.

> The PLF 'non-free' repo contains quite a few packages [1], I would think we
> will want to add most of them to Mageia too, so this will continue to be a
> problem.

Most (if not all) of those either
a) do not have patent issues and are thus eligible for mga/mdv non-free
repositories (mdv didn't have a non-free section until 5 years ago,
explaining why they are in plf), or
b) are completely unredistributable, and thus uneligible for any mga/mdv
repository.

--
Anssi Hannula