[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Mar 15 00:18:34 CET 2011

Le lundi 14 mars 2011 à 23:28 +0100, Tux99 a écrit :

> Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Mon, 14 March 2011 21:49

> > > I would have said the opposite, so that using core + tainted you're
> > > sure to
> > > get free software :)
> >
> > The same.
> >
> > Ie, a non-free may have more stringent distribution requirements than
> > free software.
>
> I don't understand what you mean, the packages in 'non-free' are being
> distributed the same way as the ones in 'core' or 'tainted', i.e. on all
> mirrors and partially on ISOs/CDs/DVDs, otherwise we wouldn't even be able
> to include them in the repos at all.

A non-free package is also something like "do not use if you are
military". We had the case in PLF.

> The issue with 'non-free' is generally one of limitations on the use of the
> software and/or source code not normally of distribution, in Mandriva the
> software with distribution restrictions normally ends up in 'restricted'
> not in 'non-free'.
>
> On the other hand a 'tainted+non-free' package has the bigger issue of
> containing patent issues (at least for some countries) so I would assume
> that it's a lot more important to keep 'tainted' packages clearly separate
> for people or mirrors that don't want to risk breaking patent laws in the
> affected countries.
>
> If we put 'tainted+non-free' software in 'non-free' then it will be very
> hard for a normal user or mirror admin to recognize it as being a
> potential patent liability.

Usually, people who do write non-free softwares on Linux ( like Adobe
for flashplayer, Oracle for Java, etc ) are also those that do
commercial business around it, and also pay the patent holder for usage,
as seen when accepting the license on installation.

--
Michael Scherer