[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Tue Mar 15 16:13:38 CET 2011

Quote: Michael Scherer wrote on Tue, 15 March 2011 11:28

> > amrnb-7.0.0.2-2plf2011.0.src.rpm
> > amrwb-7.0.0.3-2plf2011.0.src.rpm
>
> This one is interesting, because the whole code is free in the
> tarball,
> as this download the code from the internet at compile time. The
> resulting code is IMHO non-free.

If you look closer you will find that the source rpm actually contains the
zip file with the code that is supposed to be downloaded. It also contains
a .doc that apparently is not distributable.

> I would suggest to drop it and to use
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencore-amr/ ,
> which is more cleanly licensed ( Apache license ).

Is opencore-amr a drop-in replacement for amrnb/amrwb for ALL packages that
depend on it?
A quick google search didn't turn up a lot, only that apparently gstreamer
and ffmpeg can make use of opencore-amr.

Is the audio quality comparable?
I couldn't find any indication of that, but gstreamer has put opencore-amr
into the ugly plugins, rather than bad where amrnb/amrwb are, I don't know
if that's an indication of worse quality.

With regards to facc there is no equivalent replacement for it and it's
used by by a few projects so definitely can't be dropped.

Also while the faac license is non-free, it's not a problem to distribute
it, so the only problem we have is to decide where to put it (keeping in
mind where packages that depend on it will go too).

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/