[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Mar 15 20:21:31 CET 2011

Le mardi 15 mars 2011 à 18:36 +0100, Tux99 a écrit :

> > If the mix is legit, then we just move to non-free, and warn mirrors
> > that both non-free and tainted can cause troubles.
>
> Why do you think that would be a better solution than putting it into
> tainted (where it belongs for dependencies) and marking tainted as being
> for ALL tainted packages (regardless if free or nonfree)?

Because some people do not care about patents and using tainted stuff,
but do care about free licenses and do care about what it bring to them.

I do. Stormi do ( or seems to do ). And I think that given we decided to
split PLF for that precise reason, there is more than 2 of us to care.

> Putting tainted packages in nonfree just causes more confusion IMHO.

As much as the reverse, it all depends on what you tell to people about
the repository, what they expect and what you prefer to highlight.

Putting tainted separated from non-free is a way to remind to people
that patents and various similar issues do still exists, that there is
problem regarding free software unrelated to license, and that's a
separate concern from being non-free.

Putting non-free rpms in tainted will blur the line between the 2.

The only use I would see about separating non-free and tainted is for
mirrors maintainers, but we cannot guarantee much regarding non-free, as
we had various weird stuff in PLF that would prevent some mirrors from
having it.

> > If this is non-free, it goes to non-free, that's all. And we link
> > nothing to it outside of non-free.
>
> Which would mean other packages like gstreamer will have reduced
> capability.

You should read some documents about gstreamer architecture.

Nothing prevent to have a single plugin in non-free linked to anything
there, and loaded by gstreamer later. Yes, this may be more work but I
assume that people who have time to post on mls have time to get things
done.

--
Michael Scherer