[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Wed Mar 16 01:21:05 CET 2011

Tux99 a écrit :

> André, I agree with you, we never should have had the separation of
> 'tainted' (and I argued that in the early days too) but that decision was
> made a long time ago and is not up for debate here.
> With regards to open source but not FOSS, there are many types of licenses
> that source code can come with, not all of them meet the defintion of the
> free software foundation: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
> Those that don't meet that definition are considered non free, this is just
> a convention commonly used in the Linux world, personally I'm not too
> attached to this convention, but again this is not up for debate here.
> I hope this clarifies things for you! :)

Don't forget that licenses accepted by OSI are acceptable as well.
If you like, give me the designated license and I'll check it out for you.

The Mageia license policy, as I understand it, is a little more open
than that of Mandriva, as well as that of Fedora.  (I stand to be
corrected, of course :) )

Since you aren't enthusiastic about designating packages as "tainted",
why not put them in "core" or "non-free" until directly threatened ?
As far as I know, there is no clear policy of when they should go in the
other repository, and even founding members have suggested this approach.
Note also that putting a package in "tainted" means that it need not be
carried by all official mirrors.

(By the way, my objection is essentially to the name, which implies that
there is something inherently wrong with the packages -- not the case if
one doesn't accept software patents, and the software works.)
(Here in Canada software patents don't exist.)

Note that there has been general discussion of improvements to the
installer which will allow, when installing core packages, to optionally
install related/suggested non-core packages from other repositories at
the same time -- even if these other repositories aren't activated.
(Something I would like to contribute to myself.)

These improvements should help your goals a lot.
So don't give up :)

--
André