[Mageia-dev] RPM group for web applications

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Tue Mar 22 16:30:26 CET 2011

Le mardi 22 mars 2011 à 15:47 +0100, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, Michael Scherer wrote:
>
> > Le lundi 21 mars 2011 à 18:25 +0100, nicolas vigier a écrit :
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > It seems we don't have an RPM group for web applications :
> > > http://www.mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=rpm_groups
> > > http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/rpmlint-mageia-policy/current/SOURCES/distribution.conf?view=markup
> > >
> > > Should we create one ?
> >
> > A complete rework would be a compelling option to my eyes, but not a
> > immediate one.
>
> When should we do it ?

Well, right now, but this may take time :)
( when I say a complete rework, I mean "all groups could be examined" ).

> > >  Or is there other groups we can use for this ?
> >
> > Usually, what is used :
> > System/Servers
> >   wordpress, viewvc , gitweb, phpmyadmin, cacti
>
> Web applications are not really servers. And I don't think they should
> be in System/.

Yup.

> > Networking/WWW
> >   dokuwiki, bugzilla, trac, centreon
>
> I think this one is more for WWW clients like firefox, wget, etc ...
>
> So maybe a group for web applications would be better ?

I must confess that I am not very thrilled by the idea of group, as this
will lead to
1) bike shedding
2) changes all over the place

Do people think "I need to find a web application" or do they are more
"I need to find a mail client, a bug tracker" ? I would think the later.

In which case, we need 1 group, and several sub groups.
--
Michael Scherer