[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Olivier Blin mageia at blino.org
Thu Mar 24 11:38:28 CET 2011

Thorsten van Lil <tvl83 at gmx.de> writes:

> Am 24.03.2011 09:57, schrieb Wolfgang Bornath:

>> A possible solution for people with such a setup could be a non-free
>> "driver cd ISO" which they could include in the installation process.
>>

> What about a DVD including non-free packages but has the option to not
> install them?
> I think the majority of the users don't care that much about
> proprietary issues, they just need them for using there wireless card
> or graphic card. Those how do care can just uncheck the non-free part
> of the DVD. :)

Yep, it could just be an option. The desktop selection step seems to be a
good place in the installer to include it, it is visible enough, and
right before packages installation. Though it would have to be renamed.

We could have a checkbox "Install proprietary drivers if needed
(non-free software)", ticked by default.

--
Olivier Blin - blino