[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:41:48 CET 2011

2011/3/24 Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi>:
> On 24.03.2011 12:39, Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
>> But I don't think it would be a good idea to include non-free contents
>> in the distribution ISOs at all. That this assumed majority does not
>> care about the issue does not mean we should not care either. We
>> should rather stress the point.
>
> Note that the current Alpha2 ISO contains many non-free [1] firmware
> files, and without those e.g. many popular wired NICs do not work, and
> the 3D acceleration of ATI *free* driver depends on those.
>
> [1] Depending on the definition - some are BSD/similar but still without
> source code, so considered non-free by OSI/FSF/Debian.

Good point. In this discussion we were too vague about this.
As I see this the discussion so far was about "non-free" software,
where "non-free" meant the software in the non-free repos, not the
strict definition of "free" by FSF.
Prominent example (and trigger of this discussion): WiFi driver/firmware.

--
wobo