[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:10:39 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 09:13, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
> Like I said before, KDE3.5 coexisted very well with KDE4 since 2009.1 on
> Mandriva and Trinity is even more so being developed with coexistence in
> mind, so there shouldn't be any unsolvable issues.

Maybe it did coexist well at a significant cost on the packaging side?
(time, packaging compromises) and maybe the situation isn't exactly
the same as then?

> This is exactly what I would call a reasonable factual argumentation.

But an argument is not going to make anyone progress one way or the
other here obviously. If there are fears, then provide facts to
counter them (no argument, but facts).

You propose to add TDE in the repository. After this discussion, the
next step is you to first package TDE, build and test and
see/demonstrate how it goes, regarding at least these 5 points
(summarized from above) before an integration is considered:
 1. no conflict on files
 2. install in %_prefix (not in /opt)
 3. no duplicate software name (do not confuse user to decide between
tde-k3b and k3b for instance - or find a realistic workaround use
case).
 4. at this point, no apps outside of the TDE project should require TDE
 5. committed maintainers

Romain