[Mageia-dev] Sudden problems with r8169 NICs ?

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 24 14:21:59 CET 2011

On 03/24/2011 08:02 AM, Frank Griffin wrote:

> I'll do that today.   I've looked in older logs, and I find places
> where the kernel puts out the "unable to load firmware" message, but
> then gets link beat anyway.

Well, I've never been a believer in coincidence, but I've booted the old
kernel (2.37.4) as well as 2009.1 and Knoppix, and it appears that the
onboard r8169 NIC just happened to pick the reboot to 2.38 to break.
Nobody sees a link beat on it.  A NIC which just happens to give up the
ghost coincidentally with a reboot would have been pretty far down my
list of possibilities.

Sorry for the noise.