[Mageia-dev] Gstreamer pfl codecs/plugins

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:45:20 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 14:39, Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com> wrote:
> On 03/24/2011 05:14 AM, Tux99 wrote:
>>
>> Can you (or anyone) tell us when the build system will be ready to deal
>> with source packages that generate both core and tainted binary packages?
>>
>> Is it something that's still far off (months) or will this be possible
>> soon?
>
> On a related issue, the wiki still states that we're not quite sure what
> will be in "tainted".  Is this supposed to be a complete replacement for PLF
> Mandriva, or will there be a need for a PLF Mageia as well ?

http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=licensing_policy#acceptable_licenses

"The tainted section accepts software under a license that is might be
free or open source and which cannot be redistributed publicly in
certain areas in the world, or due to patents issues."

and

http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mirrors_policy#tainted

"stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some patent
issues or other restrictions in other countries"

look like consistent with each other, althought the "what belongs / is
allowed here must still be discussed" indeed looks like it's not
frozen yet.

Romain