[Mageia-dev] Gstreamer pfl codecs/plugins

Tux99 tux99-mga at uridium.org
Thu Mar 24 14:58:30 CET 2011

Quote: rdalverny wrote on Thu, 24 March 2011 14:45
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 14:39, Frank Griffin <ftg at roadrunner.com>
> wrote:
> > On 03/24/2011 05:14 AM, Tux99 wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you (or anyone) tell us when the build system will be ready to
> deal
> >> with source packages that generate both core and tainted binary
> packages?
> >>
> >> Is it something that's still far off (months) or will this be
> possible
> >> soon?
> >
> > On a related issue, the wiki still states that we're not quite sure
> > what
> > will be in "tainted".  Is this supposed to be a complete
> > replacement for PLF
> > Mandriva, or will there be a need for a PLF Mageia as well ?
>

> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=licensing_policy#acceptable_licenses
>
> "The tainted section accepts software under a license that is might be
> free or open source and which cannot be redistributed publicly in
> certain areas in the world, or due to patents issues."
>
> and
>
> http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=mirrors_policy#tainted
>
> "stuff we think we can redistribute, but that may have some patent
> issues or other restrictions in other countries"
>
> look like consistent with each other, althought the "what belongs / is
> allowed here must still be discussed" indeed looks like it's not
> frozen yet.

Actually I never noticed the second definition before, but the two
definitions are certainly not consistent with each other, the second
definition includes 'non-free' tainted software too since it only says
that "we can redistribute" (non-free sw. is redistributable otherwise we
can't have it in any repo at all).

If the second definition is the valid one (I would prefer this one) then
the whole recent thread about where to put "tainted+non-free" packages was
moot, since it can go it "tainted".

--
Mageia ML Forum Gateway: http://mageia.linuxtech.net/forum/