[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Mar 24 20:10:47 CET 2011

Wolfgang Bornath a écrit :

> 2011/3/24 Olivier Blin<mageia at blino.org>:
>> Thorsten van Lil<tvl83 at gmx.de>  writes:

>>> What about a DVD including non-free packages but has the option to not
>>> install them?
>>> I think the majority of the users don't care that much about
>>> proprietary issues, they just need them for using there wireless card
>>> or graphic card. Those how do care can just uncheck the non-free part
>>> of the DVD. :)
>>
>> Yep, it could just be an option. The desktop selection step seems to be a
>> good place in the installer to include it, it is visible enough, and
>> right before packages installation. Though it would have to be renamed.
>>
>> We could have a checkbox "Install proprietary drivers if needed
>> (non-free software)", ticked by default.

perfect solution :)

> Are you aware that this would mean that Mageia is not a "free
> distribution" as planned? No matter how you phrase the question and
> how many checkboxes a user would have to check, if non-free contents
> is included in an ISO it is not a free ISO anymore.

Mageia the distribution includes non-free software.  We are talking
about what we include on the ISO.
If users want to exclude installing any non-free packages, this
check-box solution solves the problem nicely.

So users that want to ensure that their installation works "out of the
box" will be satisfied.
And purists that don't mind some things not working, can avoid
installing non-free drivers.

Sounds like a win-win solution to me :)

--
André