[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 21:27:02 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 20:08, Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 24.03.2011 19:35, Romain d'Alverny wrote:
>> Summary (from http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=licensing_policy):
>>  * core: stuff that is not Free/Open Source according to OSI/FSF does
>> not belong here. Not even closed-source stuff that we can
>> redistribute. So if there is at this time, that's something to fix.
>
> Most of files in kernel-firmware (which is in core) are not OSI/FSF free
> (approximate list from 2010 [1]). There was a short thread about that
> [2] where I asked the question if they should be moved to non-free due
> to them not being OSI/FSF free, and tmb agreed, while pterjan disagreed
> (saying BSD without source code (where a portion of the firmware files
> in question fall) is eligible for core).
>
> [1] http://lists.mandriva.com/cooker/2010-01/msg00525.php
> [2] https://mageia.org/pipermail/mageia-dev/20110115/002172.html

Ah right, sorry for overlooking this.

So what do we do? amend core inclusion definition for that? or move
these to nonfree? (and at what cost?) topic for next Council meeting
to decide? would you like to write a summary for this in
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=meeting:council_notes_2011_03_28#open_questions
?

Romain