[Mageia-dev] Sudden problems with r8169 NICs ?

andre999 andr55 at laposte.net
Thu Mar 24 22:30:57 CET 2011

Frank Griffin a écrit :

> On 03/24/2011 04:37 PM, Thomas Backlund wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure it's broken.
>>
>> Realtek is known to have somewhat crappy NICs that can tend to lock up
>> in a "middle state" if a driver probe comes too fast, and then they
>> dont react to any link or driver loading anymore.
>>
>> One way that might help is to power off the computer, disconnect it
>> from power _and_ disconnect the network cables, wait a few minutes,
>> connect everything again and try again.
>
> OK. I *did* try a cold boot, but I didn't go quite that far. I'll try
> this, but probably not till Monday. Odd, though, that I've never had a
> whisper of trouble from this NIC in the years since I built this
> machine. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had a similar problem from time to time on a system with an 8139c nic
a while back.
The suggested solution worked.
(It was a common solution for similar problems at the time.)
Sometimes unplugging/replugging the data cable a few times helps.
It might be more the connected circuits than the nic itself.
Static charges, apparently.

--
André