[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

David W. Hodgins davidwhodgins at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:47:37 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 03:17:27 -0400, Buchan Milne <bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:

> But, that is *your* view.
> IMHO, some of these questions should be posed to the community.

My opinion, is that the there must be an iso that includes
everything needed to install a basic system, and get updates
or other software.

If the network will not be accessible without jumping through
hoops, then the distro will devolve into one only used by
people willing to jump through those hoops.  I doubt most
people are willing.

If the network cannot be accessed after (or while) installing
the system, without jumping through hoops, who is going to
bother trying to use it?

Put the non-free (should be renamed to closed-source, or
something more explanatory) in a separate directory on the iso,
and give the installer the choice of using it.

Whether or not the default should be to include it or not is
open for discussion.  In My opinion, it should be an opt-out,
not an opt-in.

Regards, Dave Hodgins