[Mageia-dev] Non-free firmwares in installer

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Mar 25 09:28:20 CET 2011

----- "Maarten Vanraes" <maarten.vanraes at gmail.com> wrote:

> the
> been
> discussed

> > > But to be installed via network you have to have a network
> connection
> > > first, n'est-ce pas?
> > > That's what this thread is about.
> >
> > It is now also about "in which media should we include non-free
> > packages?" :)
>
> no, about if they are really non-free... stuff released as BSD is free
> in my
> book. if they don't comply, they could be sued for all i care, but
> it's still
> free.

Well, even if they say the source code is BSD, if:
1)The source is not provided (under a free license)
2)The source can't be compiled with a free toolchain
then it is non-free, and most likely the license is wrong, and they have chosen to relicense from BSD to a proprietary licence (which BSD of course allows).

Compare e.g. Darwin and Mac OS X. Since Mac OS X is has some originally BSD source code, must Apple provide me with complete Mac OS X source code? If they don't, do I have grounds to sue? No. Is it Free? Most definitely not.

Regards,
Buchan