[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

John Balcaen mikala at mandriva.org
Fri Mar 25 13:27:11 CET 2011

2011/3/25 Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org>

> Quote: Balcaen John wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 12:30
> >
> > As as already said earlier, if you want to compile TDE, you can also
> > compile
> > qt3 with devel enable because you 'll need to *patch* qt3 to be able to
> >
> > compile TDE >=3.5.12 cf
> > http://www.trinitydesktop.org/wiki/bin/view/Developers/Qt3
>
> I'm aware of the patch needed for TDE >=3.5.12, but my current interest is
> 3.5.12.
> After that when the patch is needed for future versions then I will look at
> applying the patch to the qt3 package.
>
> > So i'll repeat myself once more :
> > -> enable qt3 with devel support on your box
> > -> patch it (because i expect you want to fix some TDE bugs available
> > in 3.5.12
> > & you'll need to patch for TDE from svn > 1214094
> > -> compile, test TDE on your computer with a prefix in /usr (&not
> > /opt)
> > -> if everything is ok, ask for a space online (i can help if it's
> > really
> > needed for that) to provide TDE in a contrib for more tests
> > -> & than if it's ok we can start thinking about including some part of
> > it
>
> As I said earlier in this thread I have of course already rebuilt the qt3
> package on my box and started working on the TDE packages (thanks to work
> done by Tim for Mandriva it's far easier for me now).

So we can now work on next step ?
Assume you can build it without problem, that's it's including without
problem in mageia, put it on an external repository for more test and after
discuss again about it's inclusion in mandriva.

> The point is with the overwhelmingly negative attitude directed towards me
> even 'thinking' about TDE in Mageia, I don't think my reaction is that
> surprising, or is it?

I did not see any negative attitude directed towards you, most of people
told you that for the moment it was a no-go in order to enable qt3-devel
until you'll be able to prove that TDE can integrate nicely in Mageia,
that's all.
They also explained :
-> why qt3 was still in mageia & why we did not package the -devel files.
We could have close this thread far earlier

> At this point I don't think there is any chance that TDE ever goes into the
> Mageia repos, given the attitudes I have faced here.

I don't see why.
The only problem we faced is that we're not agree about packaging qt3-devel
for the moment, that's all. We proposed you to packaged TDE , get it
reviewed etc etc.
Some of us indeed ask for a Qt4 TDE and not a Qt3 TDE..

> Also this is not really about my ideas as Xavier's post showed, there are
> others too that are affected by these arbitrary and unnecessary
> limitations (they are probably just less outspoken than I am).

We started a new distribution and we made choices, one of them was to not
have Qt3 apps.
It's not like we were providing Qt3 & others apps & suddently someone
decides to drop all of them from the distribution... This could be seen as
arbitrary and unnecessary limitations because suddently you can loose
functionnality, here we started *without* thoses because we decided to start
like this.

--
Balcaen John
Jabber-Id: mikala at jabber.littleboboy.net