[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Colin Guthrie mageia at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Mar 25 14:36:15 CET 2011

'Twas brillig, and Tux99 at 25/03/11 12:10 did gyre and gimble:

> Quote: Colin Guthrie wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 12:43
>
>> "Freedom" is in no way restricted. I see absolutely no problem with
>> compiling a qt3 package yourself with the -devel package enabled if
>> you
>> want to use it.
>
> But isn't one of the reasons for participating in a community distro,
> wanting to share what each of us builds for ourselves?
>
> And if such sharing is being vetoed preemptively in advance without an
> objective reason based on facts but rather based on fears and personal
> opinions, isn't that an unnecessary restriction of freedom that doesn't
> suit a true community distro?

Compare it to sharing an apartment/house with some friends.

Do you want the other people to leave their unwashed clothes all over
the laundry room, or unwashed dishes piling up in the kitchen? Or would
you prefer that everyone works together to keep things neat and tidy?

If you take each individual freedom to it's logical extreme, then
sharing a house would allow for the messiest person in the world to
share space with the tidiest. Each has the right to their own feelings
and ways of being, but in reality such a combination simply wouldn't
work. There has to be middle ground that is reached. That's the whole
point in a community. You cannot expect everyone to automatically agree
with your take on things. It's clear that some people do agree with your
and some don't. This shouldn't be overly surprising.

Personally I'd rather keep things tidy and not enable things unless
there is a direct need for it (e.g. a dependency). If and when there is
an app that requires qt3 in the official repos, then that is such a dep,
but until then, it makes sense to keep things neat, especially when
rebuilding qt3 with the devel package (and patching it accordingly it
seems) is such a trivial step compared to the relatively massive job of
the TDE itself. If TDE is going to be made available in Mageia directly
then by all means, qt3 will have to be patched and updated accordingly,
but it seems rather pre-emptive to get worried about something that
remains to be proven at the current time. Real reasons are better than
hypothetical ones.

And if I'm honest, you've referred to other peoples opinions continually
as "non-objective" while I'm pretty sure all the reasons I've seen on
this thread (and my own feelings) are perfectly objective and logical
and I find it rather dismissive that someone should belittle others by
continually stating they are not. They are not non-objective, you just
happen not to agree with them! That's fine, you are perfectly within
your rights to disagree, just don't confuse the two.

There is a very clear route forward and it's incredibly simple, just
rebuild your own QT3. As said above, if/when the whole of TDM goes into
Mageia, then the "official" qt3 can be adjusted as it's needed.

It was Donald Knuth who said "Premature optimization is the root of all
evil", and the same can be said of "Speculative Packaging" IMO!

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
mageia(at)colin.guthr.ie