[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

xi ctrl.alt.sup at free.fr
Fri Mar 25 16:40:07 CET 2011

Hoyt Duff wrote:
> On 3/25/11, Tux99 <tux99-mga at uridium.org> wrote:
>>
>> Quote: yves wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 09:42
>>> Hi,
>>> QT4 is released since 2005, about... 6 years ?
>>> So, why is it usefull to maintain a package that "becomes" depreciated
>>> ?
>> You are missing the point. QT3 is already part of Mageia and it wasn't me
>> who added it. All I'm asking is if there is any compelling reason not to
>> enable qt3-devel in the existing qt3
>> source package that is part of Mageia.
>>
>> If there isn't any COMPELLING reason, then qt3-devel should be reenabled as
>> long as someone wishes it.
>>

> You're missing their point.
>
> I agree, there is no 'compelling reason' not to offer it. The people
> doing the work just don't want to because enabling it means they have
> to support it. _Since Mageia doesn't need it for anything_, it makes no
> sense to enable it; it consumes scarce resources for no direct
> benefit. You are free to re-compile QT3 and enable it yourself, which
> is what i suggest.
[...]

Hi again,

You are wrong, there are software which need qt3-devel, but they have
been removed from Mageia!
I have just taken a look at Mageia "missing package" list, and QCad will
be removed because it is built against QT3 (quoting: "qcad: stewb -
noimport(started to do this one, but as I understand we'd like to drop
Qt3, so I stopped)")

Remember: QCad is a 2D professional drawing tool and it has NO
equivalent on Linux, so removing it is clearly a regression compared to
Mandriva.

Sad to see that "you" are stuck at removing as useful packages as
qt3-devel. Contrarily to what you wrote, It _is_ still needed (not only
for my personal needs) and removing it has side effects because it
implies removing software (with no replacement) from the mandriva list ...

Please reconsider your choices,
Xavier

P.S. I use Mandriva and QCad at work.