[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Wolfgang Bornath molch.b at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:05:54 CET 2011

2011/3/25 xi <ctrl.alt.sup at free.fr>:
> Hoyt Duff wrote:
>>
>> I agree, there is no 'compelling reason' not to offer it. The people
>> doing the work just don't want to because enabling it means they have
>> to support it. _Since Mageia doesn't need it for anything_, it makes no
>> sense to enable it; it consumes scarce resources for no direct
>> benefit. You are free to re-compile QT3 and enable it yourself, which
>> is what i suggest.
>
> You are wrong, there are software which need qt3-devel, but they have been
> removed from Mageia!
> I have just taken a look at Mageia "missing package" list, and QCad will be
> removed because it is built against QT3 (quoting: "qcad: stewb -
> noimport(started to do this one, but as I understand we'd like to drop Qt3,
> so I stopped)")

Well, without going into any technical details and only by looking at
the basic question, there seem to be:

 - Some users who are working with old (but still usable and working!)
software who are using this with Mandriva, so these users would like
to be able to use it in another distribution.

 - The devels of that other distribution had to decide which software
they will import into their new[1] distribution. Given the low
ressources in manpower at this point in time they had to decide to
leave this or that package out, especially when the import of such a
package demands extended support. This means no harm to the users of
those packages, they can still use them the way they did until now
(with Mandriva in this case). Therefore the argument by those users
that they are left out in the rain if this software will not be
imported is not valid.

Looks to me a valid decision of the devels of the new distribution.

[1] Please do not argue that Mageia is a sequel to Mandriva (somebody
did that in this thread) because it is not. If Mandriva would have
closed shop, then you may have a point in asking for some continouity.
But this is not the case.

--
wobo