[Mageia-dev] qt3-devel needed for Trinitydesktop (KDE 3.5 successor)

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 20:00:19 CET 2011

Op vrijdag 25 maart 2011 10:39:28 schreef Tux99:
> Quote: xi wrote on Fri, 25 March 2011 10:32
>
> > As always, please don't drop too fast the packages that you find
> > useless. There are still some users like me who may use QT3.
> >
> > I still use some "not so common" applications (eg tools for electronic)
> >
> > which needs QT3 and it is always much more convenient to simply do a
> > "urpmi libqt3-devel" than downloading and compiling qt3 ... especially
> >
> > if libqt3 is already included in Mageia !
>
> Exactly my point, thanks Xavier.
>
> This is about not restricting other people's freedoms.

iirc, it was mentioned somewhere that qt3 (without devel) was only submitted
to satisfy the lsb requirements (which are ridiculously unrealisticly outdated
imho, but there is talk of upgrading).

I read this as: 'we just put it there, but noone even tested it to see if it's
actually working', it might as well have been an empty package or not there.

i think that during this huge (boring) thread to me, this has been
misunderstood a few times.

as some people mentioned:
- make TDE build and run well locally (because TDE obviously is what you want,
and it does give a good test-run on qt3 on almost all parts)
- co-install it with KDE4 and make it both run very well
- discuss with current maintainers/packagers/your mentor of qt3 how to
support/maintain this (i suspect there is no real maintainer, but check the
commit logs who worked on it).
- after all these steps (quite a bit of work), start committing your stuff and
submitting to core/testing
- organize a few testers to test it out
- move to core/release

I don't think anyone disagrees with these steps, if they do, you could have
packaging leaders/council decide on this.
(IMHO, it would be nice to test this procedure of council decisions, i would
love to see this happening)

I suspect due to the freeze that this will hit cauldron after mageia release 1

good luck